Friday, June 3, 2011

Garden Under Attack Again!!!! (damn bugs)

 
    Our garden is under attack again! Last week I had the great idea of not wearing my glasses to the garden and hardly noticed the little white and red dots on the plants. This week I decided to ride my bike over right after class and noticed these little demons all over our tomatoes. You know that Charmin commercial where there is toilet paper shreds all over the bear's but? Yeah that's what out tomatoes looked like. (Well kinda...)

       Sticking to my guns as to not using chemicals for as long as possible I remembered a book from my last class and realized what my cure would be. LADYBUGS!!!! Yep and I have Eric Carle and his picture book, The Grouchy Ladybug to thank. (What? My class was childrens literature) That evening while watering the garden I was lucky enough to find a ladybug in the lavender patch and placed it on a tomato plant. It was amazing watching the little thing walk over to the aphid and bite it's head off! It was then decided that ladybugs while pretty and cute are deadly killing machines.... killing machines that I must employ for the survival of our garden.


       Fast forward to today and I just got off the phone with a very confused boyfriend who was forced to buy 1,500 ladybugs off of amazon. Since I have no mailbox here at school over the summer he has the lucky privilege of rinsing the little saviors and letting them cool in the fridge over night. I know this seems weird but these are the instructions from the seller. I am so excited to have the little bugs arrive. I have opened a bag of ladybugs before for a little girls birthday party and it was the neatest feeling having thousands of little feet crawl all over me then fly away up into the sky ready to start their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment