Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Quest For The Perfect Poo!

      That's right people you read it right... Poop! Now you may be asking yourself, "Why is she looking for poop?" Well my friends that is the wrong question. The real question is: In a world where everybody poops why is it so hard to find some for free?!?! Before I go on I should probably back it up a bit so you are not completely lost.
    
      As many of you may know, none of the students here including myself have ever worked on a garden as big as the one we have here. So naturally when there are questions (and trust me there are) there are normally two sources that I turn to. My bible, The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan, and Google.  But lately there has been a new book that has woven it's way into my heart, Farm City. Basically it is a true story of a woman named Novella Carpenter, who decided to have her own farm in the middle of Oakland California. The book has all kinds of tidbits about her urban farm, from bee farms on the back porch to to raised beds in the neighboring vacant lot. (she really is my superman)
   
      Now you are probably thinking "Thats all fine and dandy but it still doesn't explain why you have this new fascination with poop." Well it does! You see while reading Farm City, I learned that chicken poop is good for your garden, horse poop is great for your garden but rabbit poop tops them all. Yep those little furballs are squeezing out gold nuggets as far as gardening goes!

      So this leads us back to the title of this post:The Quest For The Perfect Poo! and my question if there is so much poop in this world why is it so much money? This garden is on a tight budget. (And by tight budget I mean my budget since the club funds are closed for the summer) There is just no way to buy the amount of manure for our big garden. I am praying to the garden gods that I can get as lucky as Novella and befriend  a horse owner who has compost in their backyard, since I doubt Res Life would let me have my own herd of rabbits. (I am imagining Travis's face when I tell him why I need the bunnies...poop!)

      And this leads us to the end of this post. With me beginning my quest for the perfect poo. In this case perfect means free. So will be jumping onto craigslist. And just like the thousands of creepers that flood its pages I too am in search for slightly used and damaged goods.

*****If any of you readers out there know a way to help out (you or someone you know owns a horse farm, chicken farm, or rabbit farm lol) please comment the blog or email me. *****

3 comments:

  1. Can I give you my poop? I've been eating a lot of vegetables lately so it should be high in organic material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I wish, although there are some people who are educated in the fine art of humanure I sadly am not one of them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Rowan Alumni and a friend of mine just told me about this garden. My parents have a farm and plenty of free poo. Let me know if you are interested. SkingCowGirl85@aol.com

    ReplyDelete