Friday, June 24, 2011

A Moment Of Thanks

      Im sitting here watching the sunset thinking about how this whole garden came into being. You see about three days ago I had the pleasure of giving a phone interview to a rep from the Rowan Alum. magazine. They wanted to write a story abbot our little patch of patch of paradise. I was asked so many wonderful questions about the whole story my mind hasn't stopped thinking about them. Seeing the garden up and growing now, you forget what it was like 10 months ago. We (Lewie and I) had no idea who to turn to. All we knew was that we wanted to have a community garden here at rowan. Over those next months we met the most amazing people who I am now proud to call my friends. We helped to form one of the most kick ass (pardon my language) club here, Rowan Environmental Action League. And we were somehow able to prove many people wrong by getting students to care about something that didn't benefit themselves.
      If you were to tell me last fall that at one point we would have over ten students up on a Saturday, before ten, in the rain, digging holes I would have told you "not here, not at Rowan." But we did. People told us that the local community wouldn't become involved or interested with a garden in he middle of the campus, but at least once a week I get a member of the community walking through who stops to ask what we are doing and stays to here the story. I'm not writing this post to say we did the impossible. I am writing this post to say thank you to everyone who helped us get to where we are and where we want to go. To the best friends, best club, and best community this newbie gardener could ask for. We did it. And we aren't stopping either!

There is nothing in the world like watching a plant grow from a seed to a work of art, it is one of the most magical things in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment